The Tehran Governor said on Wednesday March 13 that 99 Basij battalions and 15,000 police officers are prepared to keep the peace during the presidential election in June.
The Tehran Governor stressed that the 2009 protests were very costly for the regime, which is why it is taking preventive measures early on for the upcoming election.
He added that 15,000 police officers will provide security for the election in Tehran and more will remain on alert. He went on to add that while 99 Basij battalions will also be standing by, he hoped that there would be no need to engage them.
The presidential candidates who challenged the last presidential election, MirHosein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, have been under house arrest since February of 2011, and the reformists have repeatedly called for their release as well as better conditions for the free participation of reformist candidates in the coming election.
The establishment remains divided in its approach to the reformists, and while some conservative figures have encouraged their participation in the election, most remain closed to the idea so far.
Mar 13, 2017 Comments Off on As Presidential Election Nears, Iran’s Hardliners Flex Their Muscles
Dec 26, 2014 Comments Off on Rouhani addresses his IRGC headache
May 03, 2013 Comments Off on Iran’s Pre-Election Crackdown on Journalists
Apr 09, 2013 Comments Off on Naghdi: We Expect Suspicious Murders
Sep 20, 2018 Comments Off on Iran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last deal
Sep 19, 2018 Comments Off on Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran
Sep 17, 2018 Comments Off on Trump must start helping Iran’s minorities achieve regime change
Sep 13, 2018 Comments Off on Canadian MPs call on Ottawa to stand with Kurds after Iran missile attack
Sep 20, 2018 Comments Off on Iran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last dealIran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last deal Iran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last deal Iran hit back at a U.S. offer of negotiations on Thursday, saying Washington had...
Sep 19, 2018 Comments Off on Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to IranForeign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran The British Foreign Office has warned all UK/Iranian dual nationals not to travel to Iran unless they have an...
Jul 14, 2016 Comments Off on Corps’ one hundred thousand of triggered missiles in Lebanon:An official Israel-threatening by CorpsIran Briefing: Since August 7, 1979, when Ayatollah Khomeini declared the last Friday of Ramadhan as “Quds Day”, the Islamic Republic has always tried to hold an imposing ceremony by using state resources as well as requiring people’s involvement. This year’s Quds march had fundamental...