Jason Rezaian ’s unjust year of detention in Iran – ONE YEAR ago on Wednesday, Iranian Revolutionary Guards broke into and ransacked the Tehran home of …
ONE YEAR ago on Wednesday, Iranian Revolutionary Guards broke into and ransacked the Tehran home of Post reporter Jason Rezaian and arrested him and his wife, Yeganeh Salehi. There began a blatant abuse of human rights and Iranian and international law that continues to this day.
As a petition submitted by The Post Tuesday to the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention summarizes it, “since his arrest, Rezaian has been harshly interrogated for days and weeks at a time, kept for long periods in solitary confinement, deprived of his rights to counsel and to consular visitation, and detained for almost a year without trial.” Ms. Salehi was released on bail but remains subject to charges.
Since it finally began on May 26, Mr. Rezaian’s trial has been held in secret before a judge who previously was blacklisted by the European Union for his abuses. According to The Post’s petition, in the three court sessions held at irregular intervals so far, “there have been no live witnesses, no real evidence, and nothing to justify the charges, much less anything to prove that Rezaian is guilty of a crime.”
Though Iran has never publicly disclosed the charges against Mr. Rezaian, his lawyer has said they include espionage and collaborating with hostile governments. Public reports indicate that the only purported evidence authorities presented are an online job application Mr. Rezaian submitted to the Obama administration’s transition team in 2008 and a message to a U.S. consulate about a visa for his wife. No wonder the State Department, which commonly refuses to comment on espionage cases, has called the charges against Mr. Rezaian “patently absurd.”
Mr. Rezaian, 39, has now been detained in Iran longer than any other Western journalist. Born and raised in California, he moved to the country in 2008 with the ambition of promoting greater understanding between Iran and the United States. His reward was to be abruptly and unjustly confined to Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, where his physical and psychological health have undergone a steep decline. Hard-liners in the Iranian regime appear to be using him as a pawn to prevent the very improvement in relations that Mr. Rezaian hoped for.
The Post’s petition spells out the multiple ways that Mr. Rezaian’s detention has violated Iran’s own laws, as well as international conventions. His prolonged solitary confinement was illegal: Though Iranian law limits such treatment to 20 consecutive days, Mr. Rezaian was held in solitary for 90 days or more. Also illegal was the failure to bring formal charges against Mr. Rezaian for more than five months and the severe restriction of his legal representation. Iranian law says no person may be detained for more than a year, unless charged with murder; yet Mr. Rezaian remains imprisoned.
Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian – Jason Rezaian
Iran Briefing | News Press Focus on Human Rights Violation by IRGC, Iran Human Rights
Sep 13, 2018 Comments Off on Canadian MPs call on Ottawa to stand with Kurds after Iran missile attack
Sep 10, 2018 Comments Off on Iran theater duo arrested for Shakespeare clip with mixed-gender dancing
Jul 25, 2018 Comments Off on Trump To Iran’s President Rouhani: ‘NEVER, EVER THREATEN’ The U.S. Again
May 30, 2018 Comments Off on IRAN’S INTERFERENCE ABROAD CONTINUES
Sep 19, 2018 Comments Off on Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran
Sep 18, 2018 Comments Off on Activists Arrested After Mass Strike in Iran’s Kurdistan Province Against “Revenge” Executions
Sep 17, 2018 Comments Off on Trump must start helping Iran’s minorities achieve regime change
Sep 12, 2018 Comments Off on From Evin Prison, Attorney Nasrin Sotoudeh Condemns Iran’s Execution of Three Kurdish Prisoners
Sep 20, 2018 Comments Off on Iran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last dealIran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last deal Iran dismisses U.S. offer of talks, says Washington broke last deal Iran hit back at a U.S. offer of negotiations on Thursday, saying Washington had...
Sep 19, 2018 Comments Off on Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to IranForeign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran The British Foreign Office has warned all UK/Iranian dual nationals not to travel to Iran unless they have an...
Jul 14, 2016 Comments Off on Corps’ one hundred thousand of triggered missiles in Lebanon:An official Israel-threatening by CorpsIran Briefing: Since August 7, 1979, when Ayatollah Khomeini declared the last Friday of Ramadhan as “Quds Day”, the Islamic Republic has always tried to hold an imposing ceremony by using state resources as well as requiring people’s involvement. This year’s Quds march had fundamental...