Radio Free europe(RFE/RL)– The UN’s high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, has spoken out against the large number of executions in Iran, specifically mentioning the planned execution of a minor in the Islamic republic.
In a June 26 statement, Pillay brought up the case of Razieh Ebrahimi, who was convicted of killing her husband when she was 17 years old.
Pillay noted Ebrahimi was married off when she was 14, gave birth to a child when she was 15, and — after being subjected to domestic violence — reportedly killed her husband.
“Regardless of the circumstances of the crime, the execution of juvenile offenders is clearly prohibited by international human rights law,” she said.
The UN says it has reliable sources that say some 160 people are on death row for crimes they committed when they were under the age of 18.
More than 250 people are believed to have been executed in Iran so far this year.
Feb 12, 2015 Comments Off on Human Rights in Iran: Marginalized and Sanitized
Mar 08, 2013 Comments Off on EU to expand sanctions on Iran over human rights abuses
Mar 04, 2013 Comments Off on UN: Iran steps up arrests, torture, executions
Nov 15, 2012 Comments Off on Sattar’s family ask for protection to come forward with lawsuit against torture culprits
Sep 25, 2018 Comments Off on Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s Health Condition Has “Gotten Worse” in Iran’s Evin Prison
Sep 23, 2018 Comments Off on Children Of Detained Human Rights Lawyer Harassed By Intelligence Agents
Sep 19, 2018 Comments Off on Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran
Sep 18, 2018 Comments Off on Activists Arrested After Mass Strike in Iran’s Kurdistan Province Against “Revenge” Executions
Sep 24, 2018 Comments Off on Iran threatens Saudi Arabia after Iran parade attackIran threatens Saudi Arabia after Iran parade attack Iran threatens Saudi Arabia after Iran parade attack Tehran has blamed Saudi Arabia, the UAE and the US for acting from the shadows in the terror attack on a military...
Sep 24, 2018 Comments Off on Iran blames the US and Saudi Arabia for military parade attackIran blames the US and Saudi Arabia for military parade attack The assailants behind Saturday’s attack at an Iranian military parade will face “deadly and unforgettable” revenge in the near...
Jul 14, 2016 Comments Off on Corps’ one hundred thousand of triggered missiles in Lebanon:An official Israel-threatening by CorpsIran Briefing: Since August 7, 1979, when Ayatollah Khomeini declared the last Friday of Ramadhan as “Quds Day”, the Islamic Republic has always tried to hold an imposing ceremony by using state resources as well as requiring people’s involvement. This year’s Quds march had fundamental...