Less than a week before the November 3 election, the US Administration announced on October 29 sanctions on companies selling, purchasing, and enabling Iranian petrochemical products.
The US will continue to prevent the Iranian regime from using the Iranian people’s natural resources to fund terror and support oppression, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on October 30.
“Yesterday, the Department of State, Department of the Treasury, and Department of Justice have taken important actions to constrain the regime’s oil and petrochemical sales,” Pompeo said.
‘Instead of providing for their people, the Iranian regime’s brutal leaders continue to use Iran’s revenues to support destabilizing activities in the Middle East and support terrorism around the world.
The United States will not waiver in our efforts to pursue any entity or individual helping the Iranian regime evade our sanctions,” Pompeo added.
The US Justice Department said on October 29 that it filed a complaint to forfeit two shipments of Iranian missiles that the US Navy seized in transit from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to militant groups in Yemen, as well as the sale of approximately 1.1 million barrels of Iranian petroleum that the United States previously obtained from four foreign-flagged oil tankers bound for Venezuela.
These actions represent the government’s largest-ever forfeitures actions for fuel and weapons shipments from Iran, the Justice Department said in a statement posted on its website.
“The two forfeiture complaints allege sophisticated schemes by the IRGC to secretly ship weapons to Yemen and fuel to Venezuela, countries that pose grave threats to the security and stability of their respective regions,” Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Demers said.
“Iran continues to be a leading state sponsor of terrorism and a worldwide destabilizing force.